Sunday, October 14, 2012

An Epic Game of Catch-Up

Hi. I'm still alive.

There's been a whole list of things that have prevented me from posting.

1. After I put the video up last post my blog somehow became listed as a spam blog and I couldn't really get to it. There was a repeated series of e-mails from Google and to Google. That was fun. It took some time to get the blog back up.

2. Life. You know how that goes.



3. Work. I've been barista-wenching myself off at the BU cafe. It's been a little rough, if only because they're playing around with our menu so much. They made a lot of changes without really explaining why (I asked, a number of times). We're working until we run out of what we have and then we're just going to stop making drinks (frappes mostly) and start making these ridiculous creamices. It's all a big ridiculous hooplah.

I quit my job at Teavana already. It's a great store and the people were decent but it just wasn't where I should be. I've never left a job like that before and wasn't really sure how to go about it. It was kind of an odd conversation, uncomfortable. In the end, he didn't make me feel too badly about it but it was clear that he didn't really understand why I wanted leave. It just wasn't right for me.

Tomorrow I actually start a new job.  I got a job offer from the Brookline Booksmith. I'm pretty excited about it. It will be a full time position working primarily with Children's and Young Adult books. It pays more than my current job and will be more hours. I was hoping to work both but I'm not sure the cafe will be able to fit me in around the Booksmith. If they can, I'll happily do both but as of right now I'm not on the schedule for the next two week.

So there was some work stuff.

4. I've been sick. Just when things started to straighten out a little I caught a cold. Of course this happened when I somehow managed to get a few days off in a row. So I pretty much got absolutely nothing done because I was sick and grumpy about it. Pretty much I was too fuzzy to focus on much of anything for very long. I'm all better now though.

5. My book signings. I haven't been to J.K. Rowling yet, but Maggie Stiefvater, Holly Black, Sarah Rees Brennan, and Libba Bray were all amazing. It was so cool to meet them all. I got books signed. I chatted with Holly Black a little about my writing. It was absolutely brilliant. They're so nice and genuine, and funny. I did a full post about it on my YA blog.

6. I had a sibling again. That probably doesn't count much since it was only been one evening but my eldest sister, Katie, was briefly in the state for work. She was only an hour away but drove over for dinner yesterday. It was awesome to see her and just be around family again. I wish we could have hung out more but at least I got to see her.

7. I've been editing up a storm. Well, not editing but typing up edits. I've decided to have my edits fully typed and another read through done before the start of November. November is NaNoWriMo and I want to be able to give my new project my full attention because it's something a little different than I've done before, genre-wise.

8. I think I made a friend. It's another Amy from Barnes and Noble. I know, me and friends named Amy... But we've hung out out of work a few times and that's pretty cool since I'm not really a friends type.

There's not too much going on other than that. I went to the movies today (Pitch Perfect is actually a lot of fun). I've been reading... (Sarah Rees Brennan's Unspoken is amazing! And I don't even have words for Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Boys (well, there are some words on the book blog)). The weather's cooled enough to wear sweaters. Game Night was actually pretty cool last night and Amy came too.

Anyway, that's about all I've got... The J.K. Rowling signing is Tuesday so I'm sure there'll be an emotional post for you all later. And I'll let you know how the new job goes!

Until then,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment